Join other art loves on 1st Street for a stroll along Gallery Row, 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm
3375 Edison Way
Menlo Park, 94025
72 Hillsboro St.,
Pittsboro, NC 27312
What can I expect at my first appointment ?
- You will be asked to fill out and sign a Health History and Consent Form (if you are pregnant, please download the Pregnancy Massage Health History and Consent Form). The form also includes my policy statement. This is required by law and ensures a safe and positive massage experience for you. You can print it, fill it out and bring it with you, or wait until your appointment to fill out a copy I will provide for you.
- Some medical conditions are contraindications for massage therapy. If you have any of these conditions, you should call or email me beforehand so that we can discuss the appropriateness of massage. In some cases, I may need to call your physician for guidance about whether or not massage is appropriate (or you may need to get written clearance from your physician before the massage session).
- I will ask about your previous experience with massage and what you did and did not like about the massage(s) you received in the past. If you have not had professional massage therapy before, and even if you have, I will emphasize that all sessions are geared specifically to you based on your goal for the session.
- relaxation and rejuvenation; - problem-specific, based on an area or areas of tension, pain or prior injury; or - some combination of the above.
- Based on your feedback and my observations at intake, I will recommend the type of massage I could provide and ask you for feedback and approval. You can say yes or no to what I suggest and make adjustments to the plan.
Do I have to get completely undressed ?
- Once we come to agreement about the session and have finished our intake discussion, you will enter the treatment room. You will undress only to your level of comfort and get under the top sheet on the massage table so that you are completely covered when I return. If you prefer a massage where you keep your clothes on, that is perfectly fine. If you prefer to be completely undressed, that is fine, too. Many people choose to leave their underpants on. For some types of sessions, such as for sessions that include facilitated leg stretches, I may ask that you keep your underwear on or wear athletic shorts. Draping techniques are used with the top sheet whereby only the part of your body that I am working on is exposed. This is required by law.
Should I talk during the massage ?
- Remember, this massage is about you and is for you. If you feel more comfortable chatting during the session, that is fine. However, please know that your relaxation is of the utmost importance to me. My hope is that you will be present in your body during the session and that your talk, if any, will be limited to what you are feeling during the massage. In this way, you will get the most out of your massage experience.
What if I don't like the massage - the pressure is too hard or not hard enough, etc.?
- Please remember that I am completely dependent on your feedback to learn your likes and dislikes. I am not offended by feedback, but thrive on it!
- It's also important to note that I do not provide any type of energy work, chakra balancing, reiki, etc.
What happens at the end of the massage ?
- I will gently tell you when the massage has ended, will tell you that I am about to leave the room, and will suggest that you take your time getting up from the table. I will also ask that you come in to the outside office once you are fully dressed. Once you are dressed, I will ask how you are feeling in your body, get any further feedback from you and discuss any recommended self-care, such as stretching, the use of heat and/or ice, etc., depending on your concern that day.
What forms of payment do you accept ?
- I accept cash, check and Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express cards. PLEASE NOTE: I only accpet cash or check for pre-paid packages.
What are your expectations about tipping ?
- Please know that I do not expect a tip. I am committed to providing high quality massage therapy at a reasonable rate and do not want concern about additional cost to get in the way of your visit.
- Some considerations when deciding whether or not to tip might be: if I spent extra time with you before, during and/or after the session; if I made special accommodations for you, such as fitting you in at the last-minute or at a time I don't normally see clients.
- I you've tipped me once, please know you have not set a precedent for future visits!
What is your overall approach to Massage Therapy and treatment ?
- I have a commitment to the concept of evidence-based practice. This is an approach to massage therapy that integrates: current, best available research; my own expertise; and your specific needs for therapy. In other words, it is a decision-making process for treatment that is based on a solid body of knowledge and experience and not on questionable practices that, sadly, run rampant in the massage profession. If I don't know the answer to your question, I will tell you so, but am happy to suggest resources for you or help you research your concern.
What if you are unable to provide the treatment I need ?
- In the event I do not have the resources or exertise to provide appropriate treatment, I will be happy to refer you to another provider.
Some medical conditions require precautions for massage therapy.
for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions